When a home is properly prepared for the market you will sell the home quickly and for top dollar.
But how to prepare your house for sale with so much going on? Sometimes it takes a week but often a lot more time is needed to get a property for sale to show at its best. Families are busy – I get that! However, if you want to get the best price for your property you need to start now.
1. Preparing to Sell Your Home in 6 Months!
Buyers judge a book by its cover – absolutely!! Let’s face it – for many of Toronto’s busiest months for home sales, the weather does not allow for outdoor fix-ups. The things should be taken care of while it’s still warm outside:
- Any exterior painting should be done now. If your exterior cladding is a dated product, like angle stone, a coat of paint can make a big difference.
- The front and backyard should be neat and tidy.
- If the roof is obviously older it should be replaced.
- Gutters should be cleaned out and replaced if battered and dented.
- Damaged cement and/or front stairs replaced or repaired.
- A window wash can’t hurt either!
Do these things while the weather is good.
2. Declutter Your Home Next
Declutter and get ready to move. When you get your packing done early it can speed up the moving process significantly. Anything that you are not taking with you should be tossed or given to charity. Your storage areas should be ruthlessly purged! Some things can go into storage while your home is on the market but this can be costly – it’s much easier to start now. This can be a time-consuming job. Don’t leave it until the last minute.
3. Make Sure You Get Necessary Permits for Toronto
I’ve met lots of sellers who have mistakenly believed that all permits issued on their property were closed by the contractor. You’d be surprised how often we find this hasn’t been done. If your renovations required a permit call the City and make sure that they are closed.
What not to do:
Paint. Leave this to a professional in the last few weeks before the property goes on the market!
Let me help you with your “to do” list! Call me now at 647-297-7105 or click here to send me an email. Chat soon!